10/26/10

Tornado Weather

The weather outside this morning has a very specific feeling. It's what we in the south call "tornado weather". Even though it's hard to define exactly what that means, everyone here knows what it is and will agree with you if you say that's how it feels. It's cloudy, unseasonably warm and pretty windy, although it's not quite gusty just yet. Despite the wind blowing and the leaves swirling, it is oddly still. I think it's the stillness that makes it tornado weather.

It struck me this morning that the weather feels not just like tornado weather, but like California weather, too. Not the beautiful, unending sunny weather that California is famous for, but more like the weather when the Santa Ana winds move in. It's not quite as dry as that and not quite "earthquake weather", but the feeling for me when I stepped outside was distintcly California, and I had a very visceral reaction to it.

This kind of day always feels like change is in the air, like I am on the cusp of something big happening. I'm never sure quite what it is, and if I look back, I can't seem to recall any great change actually occurring after a day like this. But somehow, it feels like something in the air is brewing, and it makes me take notice and feel cautiously hopeful.

Of course, it really is tornado weather, since the night before last I was serenaded with the nearby siren that signifies a tornado warning is in effect and a funnel cloud has been spotted nearby. So there's that.

No comments: