1/13/13

Day 10- Something you're afraid of

I've fallen even farther behind, so I'm doing 2 posts in 1 day.

This is an interesting topic. One of my quirks is that I have a number of fears, both rational and irrational.

Like a lot of people, I am afraid of heights. I used to not mind heights at all. Roller coasters, tall buildings? No problem! At some point, though, I went completely in the opposite direction. Now heights are my mortal enemy. No roller coasters, no ladders- I don't even like heights in movies. I'm fairly convinced that my fear of flying has more to do with my fear of heights than anything else.

Another popular fear I have is needles. I hate shots almost more than anything, and I can't even watch someone get a shot of TV. Blood? Fine. Gore? No problem. But show a needle going into an arm and I have to cover my eyes and look away until I'm certain the scene is over.

My most serious fear is death. I just can't believe that at some point, we are all going to die. Yes, I know that makes no sense since we know from birth that death will happen. But I just cannot stand the idea. I'm sure some of my fear comes from the fact that I don't have a belief system I subscribe to, so maybe that's something I need to work on.

Now I don't really consider myself claustrophobic, but I may have a touch of it because I'm afraid of elevators. Perhaps this one is a bit of claustrophobia combined with my fear of heights. Taking an elevator higher than 1 floor makes me extremely nervous. Make it a glass elevator where I can see where I'm going and I become a basket case.

The "irrational" fear I have that amuses most people if my fear of public bathrooms. Now this is not a germaphobe thing or revulsion at how gross most bathrooms are. This is a "what if I'm all alone in this creepy bathroom and someone comes into the next stall and murders me" fear. Sound stupid? Well, have you ever seen the movie Copycat or the crummy slasher flick I saw when I was little where someone got hooked from the next stall? Not so irrational now, is it?

No comments: