1/3/13

Day 3- Book review (yes!)

Yippeee! This topic is right in my wheelhouse, as I am a bibliophile, former bookseller and all-around book nerd. I love talking about books and sharing my passion for reading with others. Which book to select, however, is a dilemma. Do I choose one of my favorites, one that is current and a hot topic or just my most recent read? Decisions, decisions. (This is a great problem to have, by the way). A quick glance at my bookshelf on Goodreads (look it up, it's a great site for readers) reminds me that I read a lot of great books in the last 2 years, which makes my choice even more difficult.  

Best to just go with the last book I read, which was Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker. This book is about a young girl coming of age at the same time as a catastrophe begins to unfold upon the world. The Earth's rotation begins to slow, causing shifts in the globe as well as shifts in humanity. Meanwhile, 11-year old Julia is dealing with the normal struggles of growing up. Now typically, I don't prefer end-of-the world books or movies (too scary), but I loved this book. I think the reason I enjoyed it is the catastrophic global events were just the backdrop of a real, human story rather than the main plot line. Julia could have been any girl in any time learning about life; it just so happens the world is changing at the same time.

This book is a beautifully, yet simply written story of ordinary people living in an extraordinary time, and I loved it. I look forward to see what else this new author has in store.


No comments: