1/5/13

Day 4- First Jobs

So today's topic (and yes, I know I'm a day behind) is first jobs. I starting working when I was 16, and my first job is very common amongst first-time workers- Baskin Robbins. When I was in high school, I was part of a trio of best friends with Renee and Melissa. We had classes together, hung out during and after school together, and talked late into the night on the phone together. We three had many adventures together.

Renee started working part-time at Baskin Robbins in our junior year of high school and naturally, Melissa and I followed suit. I knew this would primarily be a summer job for me, as I was already busy with dance class and other activities during the school year. I began in May, and while I was a little nervous, I was used to working in a team environment and taking direction from adults, so it wasn't too overwhelming. Plus, scooping ice cream, making shakes and decorating cakes isn't exactly rocket science.

We had the best time working that summer. For starters, I was working with my two best friends, so what could be better than that? The owner's two daughters worked there, along with a few other young women (yes, it was an all- female staff). The great part was that the owner left everyday in the late afternoon, so we were more or less left to our own devices for the rest of the shift. Keep in mind that the majority of the staff was 16 or 17 at the time, plus we got a free scoop or shake every shift. We had a ball that summer, scooping ice cream, shooting the shit and messing around. It really was a great first job.

I had to quit shortly after I started my senior year of high school that fall, and not too long after, the owner decided to close her franchise. I feel lucky that I had such a great first working experience, and I think it really prepared me for all the jobs I worked after that. I also learned that having access to more than 31 flavors everyday can be a very dangerous thing.

No comments: