1/6/13

Day 5- What song inspires you?

Oooh, this is a tough topic. Not because I don't know what song inspires me, but because there are so many that inspire me that it's nearly impossible to select just one.

Anyone who knows me knows about my love for music. My passion for music rivals my passion for books--this blog used to be called "Music Room", after all. For me, music is not just a sound in the background. It is absolutely at the forefront of my life. Music has the power to transport me, uplift me, mellow me out, pump me up. I'm a lover of nearly all genres, from classical to rock, from jazz to bluegrass to hip hop. There are very few genres I can't get into.

I'm really into making play lists on my iPod. I really enjoy putting together songs in a very specific way and slapping a snappy title (I think) on it. One song that continually pops up on my play lists is "Homecoming", by Kanye West and Chris Martin.

Let me first talk a little bit about my feelings about Kanye. As a celebrity or icon or whatever he is, I can't stand Kanye. I think he is immature, arrogant, and an all-around ***hole, at the least based on how he presents himself. Maybe he's a good guy, but he sure doesn't act like it when there's a camera around. Musically, however, he is a revelation. As a hip hop artist and producer, almost no one can touch him. He is so talented it's ridiculous. He has the ability to put sick beats behind complex rhymes, and I can't get enough of it.

"Homecoming" is my absolute favorite Kanye joint and probably in my top 5 hip hop songs of all time. Why? It's not just beats and rhymes, it's melody. It's a hook sung by Chris Martin. It's a love letter to Chicago, Kanye's hometown. The beats are soulful, the lyrics thoughtful. It makes me feel happy, nostalgic and ready for anything. How many hip hop songs can do that? Very few, my friends. This is everything I want in a hip hop song, and it's almost hauntingly beautiful. The first time I heard it, years ago at a poker party, all I could think about the rest of the night was this amazing song. Now, this song comes up again and again during my life. Everytime it comes up, I stop and listen intently, mesmerized.

"Do you think about me now and then, 'cause I'm coming home again. Maybe we can start again." Yes, yes we can.

No comments: